September 14, 2005

Assessments, and More Assessments

It’s almost the end of the second week of class. Today we took skill tests and completed a comprehensive career assessment CAPS, COPES, and COPS. My primary work values are orderliness, social and aesthetic. My primary interest areas are communication, service professional and artistic skilled. Pretty obvious, looking at those, why I became a teacher; it was never a problem of not liking the job. Perhaps I just need to adjust the place where I think I fit. Academic advising is something I’ve been looking at. It might be fun to teach a class like the one I’m taking now. Writing and editing are also a good fit with my interests, values and skills. This assessment confirmed what I was thinking and helps me to feel more confident that I’m headed in the right direction. I’m still tired. Last night I fell asleep at 10:15 PM, which is early for me. One thing that has been tough for me in this class is that we have been doing all of these group dynamics exercises. Some of them have been really challenging and gotten fairly chaotic and intense. I considered myself strong in cooperation and teamwork, but this has shown me that there are still weaknesses and things I can improve. Being humbled is a good thing, but not necessarily fun. Between that and the skill tests, this week has been mentally and emotionally tiring.

No comments: