December 30, 2004

Ready for the New Year

Lots of work has been done. But I still found time on Monday to watch nearly 5 hours of Return of the King: Extended Edition. All I can say about that trilogy is,"Amazing." I got the ROTK DVD for Christmas from my parents. It was the only thing that I wanted. They were also generous and got me a few things on top of that. It was more than I expected. I was surprised by a beautiful rubber stamp of large poppies and shimmery, pearlized watercolor pigments to go with it.

Ok, what work has been accomplished? Well, I have my class syllabi finished and that feels so good. I am getting excited about the beginning of classes. Before this week I was a little bit terrified about the first day. I had a horrible time falling to sleep one night, sometime before Christmas, because I was so nervous and all the things I had to do and questions were spinning in my head. Mom, in a wise moment, told me that I should remember that I am not doing this alone and that God would not have given me more than I could handle. I woke up and she had printed out some scriptures on cards and taped them in my room and in my bathroom.
Here are a couple of them.

Romans 8:15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received a spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.”
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

My sister told us that she and her husband should be moving to Washington sometime in the fall of 2005. I am so excited and I will prepare to move out of the house. I am already thinking about what would be a good location. I don't know if I’ll move out by myself or try and share an apartment with someone. We’ll see. Mom is especially pleased. She mentioned twice today how great it will be to have Jan and Kevin living locally. She was imagining next year’s holidays with all of us together.


We had split pea soup tonight that was made with the bone of the ham and the last of the leftover meat. Oh, so good. We had asiago cheese bread from Safeway, toasted up to go with the soup. Perfect combination and finished off with Pino Grigio, a white wine. I love split pea soup. Except when I was a kid and would throw a fit each year at Maundy Thursday Soup Supper at church because it was always split pea soup. I didn’t like it until I tried it again sometime in college. Now I love it. Sorry about the fits, Mom. Funny how tastes change.

No comments: